Thursday, May 12, 2005

How to restore your hearing...

Two people asked me a good question today - how much of my hearing can be restored with my bionic cochlear? Would the hearing becomes 'Normalized" ?

The answer is "in theory", that 100% of hearing can be restored. But in reality, to achieve a remarkable 100% of hearing, it all depends on how well a person adapts to hearing these beeps", the bionic cochlear programming, placement of the bionic cochlear, and the environment
around the patient.

In my case, I felt that I reached about 90% of normal hearing. For example, I have a few more phonemes I need to learn hear - they are "p", "k", and "t"; these sounds are so soft spoken and lasts very briefly, so I have to pay more attention to it. Even there are some sounds has occurred around me that I missed because I did not paid attention or recognized it.

It's fun to learn new sounds every day... gotta listen to music now!

No comments: