Thursday, March 25, 2004

First Sounds!

Hi,

I just got back from my doctor's office. Today was a big moment for my wife and my folks. It is a big deal that even my folks came over from Houston to see my reactions to the "First Sounds". My wife videotaped this big moment, too.

My audiologist opened up the package and got all the gears in place. Then she connected the transmitter to the processor and put it on my ear. She put transmitter to my implanted chip by magnet. Then audiologist plugged the cord from her laptop to my processor unit to activate it. It is interesting to watch the audiologist programming the bionic cochlear from her laptop... very much like the science fiction movies... The audiologist pushed buttons, slided some sliders, and more. Waiting for the "first sounds"....

Beeeeeeeeeeeep!!! Beeeeeeeeeppp!!

That's what I heard for the first time. Just the beepings... Then audiologist and I spent some more time to get the bionic cochlear programming right to start off the adventure.

I really like to hear these beep's. What a nice sound. It is very pleasant to hear the tonality of these beeeeeeeeps. It is wonderful to hear these sounds than using my hearing aids - which is very loud, vibrates, and often hurts my ear I had to turn it down everyday. Now from on, there will be no more unpleasant hearing - because hearing through bionic cochlear will be wonderful! I really like to hear these wonderful tunes of beeeeeeps.

All day today, all the sounds I heard are all beeeeeeeps, beeeps, and beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeps. This is expected. I have to ask where the sounds came from, learn the voices, and more. It is so cool to learn the hearing all over again. These sounds are so pleasant to hear.

No comments: