Friday, March 26, 2004

Second Day of my First Sounds

Hello,

I just woke up and I was excited to get into my routine with my activated bionic cochlear. I learned how to recharge the batteries and put all the gears together, and it was pretty neat. I like the feel of transmitter being held to my skull by magnets. Then I turned it on.... beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!beeeeeep!

That's what I heard throughout the day. But I am learning.

On the way to work, I was about cross the railroad tracks and I heard:

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!! BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!

I stopped at the track, guessing that this loud beep is the train horn.... I looked left and right of the tracks... Yes, I was right, that was the train horn, but the oncoming train was more than half mile away!!! That was so awesome!

I came to office, and I found my co-workers gathered a surprise celebration breakfast. Their voices are all beepings, but it was so nice to hear such pleasant voices.

And I went outside of my office in downtown San Antonio, and it was so noisy! The sounds of buses, cars, crackles, etc... all echoing between the walls of the skyscrapers. It was so cool to hear these bouncing echoes. This is the first time these downtown noise has not bothered me at all. I am so glad I am not wearing hearing aids on my right ear anymore.

I went to a crowded grocery store - and it was so noisy with all the shoppers pushing carts around, but I heard a squeaking shopping cart about 30 feet away, so I walked to spot this one. I picked the right one. Boy, it was so awesome that I was able hear through the noise and clatter just to hear what I want to hear!

No comments: