Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Successful Surgery!

Hi,

I am now home now from the surgery... all went well, it took about 6 hours. I guessed my doctor wanted to spend a good amount of time to ensure that my implanted bionic cochlear in my right ear is working and set in all the right places. They did activiated the bionic cochlear during the surgery and ran lots of tests to check the brain activity for any responses. I guessed all went well.

I am wearing a "white ear muff" covering my right ear, held by gauze wrapped around my head. This way, they wanted to be sure that my ear won't fall off... just kidding. They told me that I can take it off in two days.

I don't feel any pain except for the anesthesia from the surgery. I got up and walked around the room, rode the wheelchair, got in the car, and my father drove me home. No loss of balance, just woozy and wanting a big juicy burger... My wife even cooked up a steak dinner to celebrate the day. I got some prescribed painkillers, but never took one at all.

My "first sounds" is only two weeks away. That will give me enough time to allow my incisions behind the ear lobe to heal so I can wear the implant on my ear lobe.

Dan

No comments: