Thursday, June 02, 2005

Hearing Downtown San Antonio

I work at headquarters at world's largest communication in downtown San Antonio, right on the Riverwalk. I decided to take a long walk at lunch break because my doctor advised me to work on my balance by taking long walks.

The cochlear implant surgery has affected my balance in a small way, but it is "recoverable" by doing more activities like walking and exercising. It is no big deal, and what a great reason to spend the lunch hour by walking on the Riverwalk.

As I went outside on a sidewalk I can now tell where all the sounds is coming from! I can tell a incoming motorcycle on my left side, behind me, and is approaching very fast. Cool. I guess I really can see everything behind my back by hearing!!! And the buses are noisy - and even worse when it brakes to a stop.

When I was on the Riverwalk, I can hear and spot the crackles, mallards, and robins... hearing people talking around me and everywhere is great, and it gave me a new sense of perspective about my surroundings... And I can hear tapping of feet and clatter of dishes in a diner... and too many to pay attention to!

I think I am going to learn more about my hearing perception than hearing the new sounds!

No comments: